Thursday, September 25, 2008

SOA Security - ADT or Crocodile Filled Moat?

I'm sitting here in the middle of the Moscone center as OpenWorld 2008 comes to an end. It's been a long week, but I wanted to take some time to capture some thoughts on my first open world presentation.

This morning, Eric Leach and I presented to an enthusiastic group on securing WebLogic applications with Oracle Access Management. As the "technical guy", I put together a demo of Oracle Access Manager, Web Logic Server, Oracle Entitlements Server and Oracle Web Services Manager all working together in a "best practice" architecture.

The demo covered a fairly common scenario: end-to-end security in a SOA. For example, the customer already has an investment in OAM, and they need to extend that security capabilities down to the rest of the architecture - applications, services and data.

In the past, I think that the temptation would be to use OAM. Prior to the emergence of the entitlements market, WAM was the only COTS solution for externalizing authorization. WAM products are most successfully deployed when focused on the problem of web SSO. Authorization and the centralized management of security policy is better handled by Oracle Entitlements Server - OES.

I used OES to provide authorization for JEE resources, JSP pages, and Web Services. Both OES and OAM used a common directory - Oracle Internet Directory - as a system of record for users, user attributes and group memberships. This information fed the policies enforced by OES.

In order to have these policies enforced correctly, the various enforcement points need to have the correct user identity. The problem of propagating identity across an SOA is not a simple one. In the course of the demo, I actually had to use multiple mechanisms. The identity from OAM to WLS is passed via OAM Session cookie. WLS then generates a SAML Assertion and passes it in the WS-Security Envelope to a OWSM. OWSM in making the very fine grained access control checks to OES uses a simple USERID_TOKEN (username). In theory, I could have used SAML for all of these interactions, but in many cases the full on SAML is too much.

Like most everything in security, there is no "correct" answer - no perfect solution. The solution that I demonstrated using OAM, WLS, OES and OWSM is an attempt at a reasonable 80% case - something which most customers could use as a jumping off point for defining their own solution.
I think a good analogy in information security to "How much security is enough security?" is "What alarm system should I buy for my house?". I like to think of the solution I outlined in the OOW session as the "ADT Starter Package" of solutions - pretty good for most single family residences. Most houses don't need a moat or guard dogs, but a military base needs more than a "Keep Out" sign...you get my point :)

Thanks again to everyone who attended the session and all of the questions. I gave out quite a few business cards, so I hope to hear from all of you. For those who didn't attend, once I get home, I'll add the relevant links form the session, and hope to drive some discussion around the solution.

No comments: